Kevin O’Connell, Founder
- Connecting the dots for young adults
- Innovative Career Exploration
- Social Media Engagement
- Creating marketing strategies
- Public Speaking
- Student leadership development
How Kevin came up with
The Niche Movement
I have spent the last 7 years working in Student Affairs and have personally mentored 150 students in multiple disciplines within: campus recreation, marketing, service-learning, social media, and student leadership. Over the last 2 years, I have talked with several friends and former students about how they are unhappy in their job, how they don’t feel like they fit in their organization, and they don’t know how to find their niche and stand out. Using my knowledge in leadership, experience in mentoring, passion for innovation and culture, and skill in presenting, I decided to start The Niche Movement.
The Niche Movement will increase young adults’ chances of being a better candidate, honing in on their true skills, learning how to stand out and most importantly how to find employers they would actually want to work with.
I spent most of 2010 and 2011 carving out a niche in social media, marketing and technology which lead to a promotion to become the Assistant Director of Marketing & Social Media for the Recreation & Community Development office at Rutgers University . I love every second of my job as I work with a talented digital media team of students creating innovative marketing strategies. I also enjoy sharing my ideas and knowledge of social media engagement with colleagues in a variety of industries.
- Graduate of Fairliegh Dickinson University B.S. in Marketing – 2006.
- While at FDU I was an orientation leader, co-founder and president of the marketing club, and founder/advisor to the Habitat for Humanity service trips.
- Graduate of Centenary College M.A. Leadership – 2008
- Student Affairs & Higher Education experience: student leadership, service learning, programming, training, staff development, campus recreation, team building, marketing, social media, technology.
Other roles as an Entrepreneur:
I am a digital storyteller and content creator. I help passionate but overwhelmed start-ups and small businesses design custom digital marketing strategies so they can achieve their current marketing goals and establish an infrastructure to build a successful business.
With over eight years of experience in the highly visual social media landscape, I have worked with a variety of clients, including #1 best-selling author Erik Qualman creating dynamic photo and video content; and Rutgers University building a social media infrastructure. I love adding social media advice as a contributing editor forSocialnomics.com which PC Magazine ranked as a Top 10 Social Media Blog. My passion comes from teaching organizations and individuals how to be creative on social media and find their digital voice.